By cutting off federal funding for research and stymieing data collection and sharing, the National Rifle Association has tried to do to the study of gun violence what climate deniers have done to the science of global warming. No wonder: When it comes to hard numbers, some of the gun lobby's favorite arguments are full of holes.
- Myth #1: They're coming for your guns.
- Myth #2: Guns don't kill people—people kill people.
- Myth #3: An armed society is a polite society.
- Myth #4: More good guys with guns can stop rampaging bad guys.
- Myth #5: Keeping a gun at home makes you safer.
- Myth #6: Carrying a gun for self-defense makes you safer.
- Myth #7: Guns make women safer.
- Myth #8: "Vicious, violent video games" deserve more blame than guns.
- Myth #9: More and more Americans are becoming gun owners.
- Myth #10: We don't need more gun laws—we just need to enforce the ones we have.
keyboard shortcuts: V vote up article J next comment K previous comment